The digital transformation has given the adaptability of companies to digital business models. They include new, more flexible, higher quality methodologies with shorter times and costs compared to traditional ones. These agile methodologies are frequent in Startups and technology companies, although little by little they are being implemented in the rest of the sectors.So in this post, we inquire about, What is agile project management?
Agile project management Methodology
It is a set of techniques focused on the development of project management. It is characterized by speed, flexibility and efficiency in the process of coordinating the work of the teams and assigning tasks to the professionals. This stands out for its methodology, since it divides the work into production phases and weekly meetings and deliveries are held with the client and the work team to evaluate the process.
Currently, it focuses more on projects related to software development, where interactions are established with continuous customer feedback that allows knowing if it’s really doing the right thing at each stage of the process. It offers the ability to modify and move quickly and without having to wait long periods of time for the delivery of a product that may arrive at the wrong time or solve a problem that is no longer the same that you identified at the beginning.
- Measurement and prediction: You gain greater control over the evolution of the agile process, since you can evaluate and adapt the product as well as improve the ability to estimate costs and times thanks to the indicators that measure the evolution of the process (time, cost, performance, etc.)
- Higher product quality: Thanks to the continuous integration and evaluation of the entire process, a considerable improvement is obtained in the final result of the product.
- Customer satisfaction: The customer is involved in the entire project development process, knows all the changes made in real time and is therefore more satisfied.
- Organization of work: Greater organization is obtained thanks to the split of tasks by teams and regular meetings.
- Successful result: By carrying out periodic reviews of the process, the margin of error in the project is reduced to a minimum since errors are recognized during development, thus influencing the reduction of costs.
Types of agile agile project management methodologies
- Scrum: work methodology characterized by segmenting or sprinting the tasks of a project to test each stage (analysis, development and testing) of the launch of a product or service. It is one of the most widely used agile methodologies since it deals with highly complex projects quickly when verifying the results.
- Kanban: Also known as a “visual card”. It is a strategy that consists of planning and controlling the different tasks to be carried out in a project. The aim is to create a diagram, which is available to the entire team, with 3 columns; pending, in process or finished and cards of different colors are exposed according to the work to be done. Its objective is to improve efficiency, productivity and to have a good organization in the team regarding the distribution of tasks.
- XP – Extreme Programming: Its objective is to promote relationships between employees and customers, have constant contact between both profiles, and enhance interpersonal relationships through teamwork, creating a good work climate and having motivated and united workers to obtain success in the development of the product or service. It should be said that due to these characteristics it is a technique that is more aimed at companies that are in process of consolidating or Startups.
- Agile Inception: Its purpose is to define and clarify the main objectives of the company, such as the target market or the value proposition. To establish these issues, meetings of about 5 minutes are usually held between the team and the clients.
Some of the most requested Roles in the Agile labor market are
- Product Owner: It is one of the most important roles within agile methodologies. Its main objective is to verify all the developments and tasks that occur in a given product.
- Project Manager: specialized in software development and R&D disciplines in long projects that contain a multidisciplinary team.
- Agile coach: is the professional who facilitates the process to achieve the established objectives.
- Scrum master: Is the person in charge of developing an agile project since team leadership predominates in its duties, as well as organizing and controlling the work teams and their quality.